The mission of the Sangamon County Regional Office of Education is to serve as an advocate for education by providing positive leadership, performing regulatory functions as directed by the School Code of Illinois and the Illinois State Board of Education, coordinating and delivering state and local services, and disseminating information for educators, schools districts, and the community.
To effectively carry out this mission, the Sangamon County Regional Office of Education supports and assists the eleven school districts in Sangamon County by:
- Exercising supervision and control over all school districts.
- Serving as the official advisor and assistant to school officers and teachers in the region.
- Administering programs for children with special needs such as GED testing, alternative education and truancy prevention - all programs which districts cannot often provide alone.
- Providing technical support for schools, including professional development activities for teachers and administrators, and certification services for more than 9,000 educators every year.
- Conducting school compliance visits to ensure that all Sangamon County school districts are meeting state standards, especially in the areas of curriculum and academic standards.
- Ensuring the safety of our children in school buildings, school transportation vehicles, and food service facilities – in the total educational environment.
- Safeguarding the resources that are used in the education of our children.
- Upholding fiscal standards and facilitating the resolution of school legal issues.
- Helping bring state and federal dollars back to Sangamon County for educational programs that benefit our citizens.
Additionally, the Sangamon County Regional Office of Education works closely with many agencies within our state and local governments community to help provide our children with the necessary tools for success in every sense of the word and to help shape and enrich their view of the world.
Not only are we determined that any Sangamon County citizen who has a need and a desire for an educational opportunity shall have it, we are firm in our belief that every child should have an opportunity to be successful every day.